Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Chef @ Home ~ Tandoori Chuza

IMG_4869 Nothing extraordinary about this tandoori chicken, except that I have used a "Chuza" for this recipe.

 

 

IMG_4830 Cornish Hen is what is closely classified as a chuza you can get from a supermarket. Not to mention that this was my first time making a tandoori of a whole cornish hen!

 

IMG_4831 I marinated the little less than 500 gms whole chicken in half cup of plain yogurt, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp white vinegar, 1 tsp garlic paste, 1 tsp ginger paste, 1 tsp green chili paste, 1 tsp red chili powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala powder, 1/2 tsp black pepper powder, few drops of red food color and salt.

IMG_4834 Since its a small chicken, I marinated it only for about five hours. Since I do not have a tandoor here, I use my reliable oven to make tandoori dishes. Pre-heat the broiler on high, brush the chicken with some vegetable oil on all sides.

IMG_4865 Start with the chicken "face down" on the baking dish first. Each side needs about 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Baste continuously with the marinade.

 

You can also make this on a charcoal barbeque!

IMG_4868 Remove the hen from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes before you serve it with lemon wedges and onion slices. This I knew was going to be magic!

 

IMG_4870 I know from here on I am going to have more of these hens on my dinner table!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice Chuza Rini :)

sanchari said...

You have really come a long way..looking at this makes me think.....cool...keep going....

Tina said...

I like to cut up (joint) a large chicken and do this (lots of hungry mouths here), that way I can pull out the parts that cook sooner. Also, I set the oven to 450F and cook it for 30 minutes, turning once.