Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Banana Bride

This is a supermarket find again. IKEA to be precise. I went there to get candles for Diwali, and fell in love with this Musa Banana Plant.

Now we Bengalis hold a banana plant in high esteem, apart from its culinary and cultural sanctity, we also believe that the Banana Plant is Ganesha’s wife!

Legend has it that Ganesha was setting off to get married. The wedding party left, while Mother Durga waited at home. In case you did not know, Durga has 10 hands. Why? Because she is the super woman. Apparently, Ganesh had forgotten something at home, probably his BlackBerry.

As he returned home, he saw his Mommy with her hands stretched out, eating with all of them. Astonished the elephant-headed Sonny asked why was she doing this. To which Durga said, “Tor bou aashle judi khete na daye.” Meaning, your new bride may not give me food to eat.

Dejected and unhappy with himself, Ganesha quickly made a decision that he wouldn’t get home a bou, slashed a banana plant nearby and said to Mommy, “E nao tomaar bou”. Meaning, a mute banana plant wouldn’t dare to usurp your position at home.

IMG_2379 IMG_2371IMG_2378 Thus started strange obsessions of Bong Mothers with their sons. Ma Dugga left a very strong precedence and till date no Bengali Mother has let go off her adult, married son. Strange obsessions of the recent times. But let me warn you, not all Bengali brides are like the mute, obliging Banana Bride of our Gonesh. But let’s not go there. At least for now.

Okay, where was I? IKEA.

As I kept the Musa Banana on the window sill, which incidentally has a stone Ganesha (which has chipped and I am using it as a book end), I got reminded of this mythological story and thought I’d share with you.

IMG_2370IMG_2376 IMG_2380 IMG_2374 IMG_2375 

If you haven’t noticed yet, next time you are celebrating Durga Puja, watch closely and you will see a coy-looking Banana Bride by Ganesha’s side.

IMG_2151

13 comments:

GB said...

heh heh...that's not limited to just bengal....it's all part of the self-sacrificing motherhood thing. Think Nirupa Roy....emotional blackmail personified!

I like how green your garden is....

Anonymous said...

he he I knw that one ..kolabou!
Reading ur post I am reminded of one of my stupid thoughts .As a kid, when i got introduced to marriage, I used to get dreams that my MIL would be like Manorama of Sita aur Gita,the old hema malini flick...and i used to tell my mother that I will also beat her with hunter like Gita does in the movie...I m smiling as I am writing this :)
There's not an IKEA still in Vegas..Lucky you..diyas and banana tree..wonder what u ll bring next to make me J!!
LOL

Satrupa said...

Loved your write up ...... could not stop myself from smiling :)

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

haha - loved the story. I had not heard of it...

Reeni said...

I loved hearing your story! Made me smile!

aipi said...

didn't know Ganesha had a blackberry :)..you made for a fun read... didn't realize IKEA now carries all this cool stuff.. its only 6 miles from me... will bug hubby this weekend ;) You probably got the diyas at a bargain... they have it here in the indian grocery stores and make you pay through your nose!

US Masala

Unknown said...

grin...what a story! And I totally love that last pic of the coy bride:)

sulagna said...

hahaha..i know ..kola bou!!! and someone in the family gets the saaree she is draped in..one of the bous :) lovely story pree

Nalini Hebbar said...

Nice story...So sas bahu stories have a history!

Lakshmi -Celebrations said...

lovely images pree...

Lakshmi -Celebrations said...

lovely images pree...

Sassy Fork said...

Thanks for sharing the story.
any idea if IKEA still has Tagines for sale?

Shweta said...

That's some story :-)..I reached your blog just searching for a recipe for churmur chaat and like a bookworm accidentally (and fortunately) entering a bookshop - got busy reading (read "devouring")other posts. Good posts..keep bringing on more!