Sunday, May 09, 2010

TLC Cooking On Mother’s Day

Who knew daughters and sons all over the world would one day need Mother’s Day to thank, celebrate, honor and show gratitude to their Mothers!

I did not have my Mum by my side this Mother’s Day too. But what I did have was time. I put aside the thought of my Mum and me living in different continents and cooked her a French brunch at home!

Since everything these days between Mum and me is long distance and over different time zones, I don’t think Mum will mind this vicarious meal. After all, its the thought that matters. Right, Mum?IMG_7858 A quick toss of sushi-grade Salmon, chopped fresh dill, a handful of capers, EVOO, lemon juice and a seasoning of fresh cracked pepper and salt.
IMG_7864Quite a summery feel to it, this salmon salad is high on protein and flavor and I am sure my Mum will like it!
IMG_7867IMG_7871

Bursting with aromatic garlic, these crunchy green beans will surely make any Mum proud. Looks like I am practicing all that preaching I got about eating my greens!IMG_7877 I seasoned the blanched green beans with chili flakes and just a little salt.
IMG_7880

I wonder if this fruit salad will earn some “oohs” and “aahs” from my Mum! After all it has her favorite color in it – red!
IMG_7883 IMG_7882 Some toasted walnuts added crunch to the bite-size pieces of apples and watermelon. The end result was a burst of natural juices in the mouth.

Finally it was my signature Strawberry and Almond Clafoutis which rounded off this virtual brunch for my Mum.
IMG_7873 The moist and crusty clafoutis reminded me of the times my Mum was so strict with me and other times would just melt at something I said. Or understood things I sometimes never said.

They say, all women become like their mothers. I am glad I see shades of my Mother in me. She was my first teacher and my best friend. I miss the past. I miss you, Mum. 
top halfI hope you liked the result of this virtual brunch I made for you, Mum. I sure enjoyed making it for you. It was all too satisfying for me. Just the way you would be all pleased as punch when you served us a warm dinner, everyday. Until I cook all this for real for you…
bottom halfHappy Mother’s Day and Bon Appétit!

5 comments:

Lakshmi -Celebrations said...

Nice yeah,Happy mothers day to you too....
even my mom is my best friend and teacher

Kalyan Karmakar said...

the salmon salad looks amazing. Hope your mom's not the kind who'd stick to Chinese though

Dhruva said...

Hey. Your blog is very promising. Lovely food, text and pictures. I will come back when I have more time

Ravi said...

The Salmon looks very appetizing!!

Unknown said...

W0w, a different style of tuna, Thanks for this it help me as I am a private chef in austin. God Bless!