Friday, January 07, 2011

Garlic Hummus

It helps when your mother-in-law to-be and you live in the same city. It gets even better when the son lives in far away Canada, which means that you get the undivided attention of his Mother.

Almost every weekend, before I got married to P, my Mum-in-law would make sure she would send me home-cooked food from their place to mine. This was in Delhi. Among her favorite things to send would be a jar of freshly made Garlic Hummus which she learnt many years ago during their stay in the Middle East.

IMG_0533I got so hooked to her Garlic Hummus, that I would eat it with everything. Including slices of toasted bread. Before my jar of Ma’s Hummus got over, she would make more and send through someone or bring it herself. I also think she did not mind a prospective daughter-in-law with garlic breath, as long as the garlic was from her Hummus.

IMG_0548 I have learnt to make Ma’s Garlic Hummus, and find it an easy dip for finger food of freshly cut vegetables like carrots, celery, broccoli, etc.

Ingredients for Garlic Hummus are:

2 cups cooked chickpeas, retain a little water its boiled in
3 tablespoons white sesame seeds, lightly roasted
4-5 garlic cloves
Juice of one lemon
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Sprig of fresh parsley
Quarter cup + 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Salt

Traditionally, Tahini is used in Hummus, but if you don’t have it, use roasted sesame seeds like I do.

Start by breaking down the sesame seeds in a blender. Then add the chickpeas, garlic, EVOO and lemon juice and give it a good whoosh, till you get a thick, smooth consistency. You can add spoonfuls of the water you have retained from cooking the chickpeas to get the right consistency of the Hummus.

IMG_0534 IMG_0541 Do a taste test and see if you need any salt. Season accordingly.

Just before serving, drizzle a little more of the EVOO, a generous pinch of chopped fresh parsley and cayenne pepper on the Hummus. You can use it as a spread between your pita bread or roti, or just as a freshly made dip for breadsticks, vegetables or kebabs.
IMG_0550 IMG_0547IMG_0554

The Hummus bowl that you see here is something I made at Pottery School, I had in mind the “Middle East” and my hands just followed my mind.

IMG_0514IMG_0515

More pictures of my Pottery Work is here.

25 comments:

Kalyan Karmakar said...

Lovely pot.

I am a slave to hummus. Never knew it was so easy to make. Might give it a shot

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

love hummus and love the combination of colours in your presentation. very soothing to eye.

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

jibegaja gulo ak blogger friend er jonoi specially baniechilam. tumi India e thakle pathie ditam. tabe amar kapale jote na. potidev ar chhele sab hum hum kore kheye phele.

GB said...

Ki shundor, pree! Love the conch shell motif in the middle!

Your hummus looks temptingly yummy--I love it, but usually end up with the store bought variety--have to give your recipe a shot!

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

wow - dont know which one is better - the hummus or the clay pot that holds it...

Tanvi@SinfullySpicy said...

you eat bread sticks with garlic hummus in a pretty bowl & read benazir bhutto...what pleasures? looks lovely!

? said...

Love the conch design on the plate.

Sharmila said...

Love the hummus and the bowl too. I have tried to add a bangali touch to the hummus by adding mustard oil .. besh bhalo lage. :-)

aipi said...

I am totally fascinated by this pottery work of yours, the bowl looks really pretty. Hummus is a regular in my kitchen too and yours looks fabulous..

Good to hear you are from Bihar as well..more specifically I am from Jamshedpur..


US Masala

Spice said...

Lucky girl to have such a nice sasu ma, Love the bowl & the hummus in it....I use almost same recipe except parsley...

My Unfinished Life said...

hi pree
i found pottery teaching classes in delhi and as soon as the delhi cold wave is over, mean to go around booking myself in one of those classes!!
thanks for your help !!!
hmm...garlic hummus....will have to try!!.....

Purba said...

Humus is my favourite dip, makes even rabbit food taste better.

Unknown said...

my fav too! n lil one loves it as well..so this one gets made every week :)

Pinku said...

count me in on the list of hummus lovers as well.

The pot looks lovely and the idea of roasting the sesame a bit is awesome...

Am going to soak some chickpea right away :)

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Can't tell you how much I loved your last post about Pabda mach. With minimul ingredients this dish can be a hit.
Coming back to your garlic humus ...khoob yummy lagche with bread sticks. Tomar artistically designed pot tao darun lagche.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

sra said...

"I also think she did not mind a prospective daughter-in-law with garlic breath, as long as the garlic was from her Hummus." - Very funny this!

Gouri Guha said...

tomar pot khoob sundoor hoyeche.

The garlic hummus presentation dekhe...feeling like having a taste of it.

Priya Suresh said...

Very inviting and tempting hummus, garlic ,love it anytime as anything..

Tanvi said...

I am addicted to hummus. Can have it everyday for all meals! :)

Regina said...

I just made this right now and the result is amazing! Thank you muah

My Unfinished Life said...

can i use normal crushed pepper instead of cayenne pepper??

PreeOccupied said...

@Shooting Star, instead use red chili powder. I wouldn't suggest black pepper on hummus. If you have the Deghi Lal Mirch, use that.

My Unfinished Life said...

i made this today and it was divine!!!

Pooja said...

Even I lived in Middle East for a long time..and i make this recipe. It doesn't taste the same with sesame seeds, i have tried making it that way b4. I found Tahini paste here in Singapore, am sure u should get it in Canada as well...then try making it and taste the difference.

PreeOccupied said...

Pooja- we do get tahini paste here too. This recipe is for those who do not have access to that, and made with ingredients readily available in homes. :-)