Thursday, March 15, 2012

This Oil-free Chhole Will Not Give You a Delhi Belly

How many times have you been turned off by the sight of an oil slick bowl of chhole! This recipe comes from my life in Dilli. Its so simple, there is a sneaking possibility it can be called Chhole for Dummies.

027
011
Its packed with protein and can give the best chhole in town a run for its money. You would often find this in a big copper handi of a chhole-kulche wala in Dilli. This is also a special for many on Lunch.Inc. Since I don’t get kulchas here, I eat this chhole on its own, while writing a post about it.

015

Ingredients for Oil-free Chhole are:

2 cups yellow peas/matar washed and soaked overnight
1 small red onion, very finely chopped
Handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
Green chillies, finely chopped
Juice of a lemon/lime
Generous pinch of Sodium bicarbonate/baking soda
Bhaja masala to taste
Salt

Pressure cook the peas with just enough water (to cover them) and that pinch of baking soda. It took me three whistles to cook my peas.

008010013

Meanwhile keep your other ingredients ready.

019
022
020

Get ladlefuls of the cooked chhole in a bowl. Top it up with the onions, coriander, chillies, bhaja masala, salt and a squirt of lime.

024
025
026

Serve the chhole in a pretty bowl. Put your feet up and enjoy your Bollywood DVD.

035
030

8 comments:

jjs said...

i have one chole wala near my house, many a days i have got it for lunch. for ma its blasphemy

Kamini said...

Posting after eons!! But I love this, am bookmarking and as soon as my kitchen is up and running in Seattle, I'm gonna give it a try!

My Unfinished Life said...

AAh!!.. I ahve had this many times in delhi,but never got around to make it....this version is absolutely delicious!!!!


will bookmark it!!

Rachana Saurabh said...

Hmm.. Oil free version.. I will try it.

Vetirmagal said...

Yummy and easy to cook . Can be eaten as a snack too.
Thanks.

Viola said...

What is Bhaja masala?

PreeOccupied said...

@Viola, bhaja masala is dry roasted cumin and coriander seeds, coarsely ground.

Okay, another thing I do add to this chhole are chopped tomatoes. Its brilliant.

Unknown said...

They looks beautiful, soft and so yumm. chinese restaurants in vijaynagar