Thursday, March 18, 2010

Chicken, Crème ++

A recipe is merely words on paper, a guideline; and some people choose NOT to share it. Its those critical times that you are left to decode the secret ingredients of some lip smackingly delicious dishes you have had. If you have lived in Delhi/Gurgaon/NOIDA, you will recognize the famous Chawla’s Chic-Inn and their signature Cream Chicken.

attar singh Apparently, it is this man, Attar Singh Chawla who invented the Cream Chicken during one of his kitchen experiments somewhere in Haldwani. One time, I had tried to befriend the man, no, not Attar Singh, but the Manager from one of Chawla’s Chicken franchisees. But I never was able to lay my hands on the recipe.

They are that protective!

I knew my taste buds wouldn't let me down, so here I am, deciphering what could be close to Chawla’s Cream Chicken from my kitchen to yours!

Ingredients for Cream Chicken:

6-8 pieces of chicken (I used skinless drumsticks)
One and half cup of whipped cream
2-3 tablespoon fresh black pepper powder
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon ginger paste
1 tablespoon garlic paste
1 large onion finely sliced
2-3 black cardamoms
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Salt

IMG_6286 Heat the oil in a deep pan, add the cardamom and bay leaf. Add the sliced onions and fry till they turn golden brown. Add the chicken, stir and cover for five minutes. I wanted the chicken to get a good color, so I took my time with them while adding the fresh black pepper powder. Keep frying the chicken till you see them turning light brown on all sides. Add the ginger-garlic paste and the coriander powder and fry for some more time on medium heat. Keep stirring so that the spices don’t burn. IMG_6287Turn the heat on the chicken to the lowest gas mark and slowly start adding the cream. Let it cook on the gentle heat. Keep stirring and scrape off any spices from the bottom of the pan. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
IMG_6288 IMG_6289There is no need to add water to the Cream Chicken, by adding salt the chicken will release enough juices to cook on its own. Cook till the chicken is done and the cream coats the chicken pieces. Adjust the salt and pepper.

Serve hot with Naan or Rotis.
IMG_6292I hope you are still hungry ‘coz I still have some more cream left from the big pack I got! This time too, I am making what is a hot favorite of Delhiites, just that it is no more a North Indian appetizer. However, I will stick to a very Indian recipe in a world of some pretty painfully Anglicized versions of it.

Murgh Malai Tikka translated literally as Chicken Malai (Cream) Tikka is the big brother of all kebabs if you like subtle flavors. Creamy and elegant, above all Creamy Chicken Tikka almost melts in your mouth if you have the marinating time right!

Ingredients for Creamy Chicken Tikka are:

500 gms of boneless, skinless chicken cut into 1 inch pieces (I used the thigh portions as they are the most tender for any kebabs)
1 cup whipping cream
Half cup grated cheddar cheese
Juice of one lemon (or two)
1 tablespoon ginger paste
1 tablespoon garlic paste
1 tablespoon green chili paste
Half cup minced coriander leaves
Half teaspoon mace powder
Half teaspoon nutmeg powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon black pepper powder
Salt to taste
Vegetable oil for basting (This oil holds more heat and is the best for kebabs)

Whip up a marinade with the cream, cheese and spices, except oil in a bowl, add the chicken pieces and mix well. Marinade the chicken for 5-6 hours.
IMG_6264Set oven on Broil and preheat on High. Stick the chicken pieces on skewers and baste them with oil. Arrange them on a baking tray and they are ready to go in the oven. Cook for 15 minutes on each side. Turn the skewers mid-way when they start searing from the edges.
IMG_6266Squeeze some lemon juice and serve piping hot with onion rings. The cream keeps the tikka kebabs moist and the spices load them up very subtly.
IMG_6274IMG_6275That pretty much finishes up all the Cream I had in my fridge. Of course I saved a spoon or two to drizzle on my fresh fruits for dessert.

6 comments:

FoodLovers said...

yum yummy ..
looks great..
hey iam hosting give away if u get a chance pls stopby at my blog ..

Raja said...

I had this at a Punjabi friend's place. He didn't keep as much gravy, tho'. This is one of my favorite dishes. I love to cook it too.

Dev said...

Nice post,
I am felling hungry by reading your post and pics. Chawla Chic Inn Restaurant really serve quality food.

Chawla Chic Inn Restaurant order online

Unknown said...

First time here..u have a wonderful space with mouthwatering recipes and pics...Happy to follow you Visit mine as time permits...
chowringhee laxmi nagar

Unknown said...

First time here..u have a wonderful space with mouthwatering recipes and pics...Happy to follow you Visit mine as time permits...
restaurant in laxmi nagar

Unknown said...

nice blog! your dishes ummmm thnks will try this looks. This is really healthy and delicious, restaurant in laxmi nagar