Thursday, January 14, 2010

Spicy Bengali Crabs

My favorite destination in Chinatown is this huge store called Oriental Harvest. From fresh fruits, veggies and fish to all the South Asian grocery, this place is an underground haven.

And its seafood and fish section is huge! I usually shop for Bong fish in the Bangladeshi stores, but if you want some fish from all around, this place will make you stinking happy!

But I would recommend you use only cash to pay for your purchase. In the last two times that I have used my debit card, my card has been compromised. Though I managed to get my money back. Apparently some miscreant employees are up to this theft. I have been told by my bank that the store is already under the scanner.

But that does not deter me from shopping here every time I am in Spadina Avenue.

Have a look at the variety of fish you can buy in an oriental store in downtown Toronto.

Its here that I picked the freshest of crabs a Bengali could lay her hands on.

I wanted to make this crab dish my Mum makes, and I knew I had all the right ingredients as soon as I picked some green chilies too.

This Spicy Bengali Crab is not for the heat-resistant. Its got just the basic spices from an Indian kitchen, but loads of flavors.

Here is the recipe:

2 large crabs (the fish monger will crack and de-shell them for you)
2 large potatoes cut into wedges
2 medium size ripe tomatoes roughly sliced
1 medium size onion finely sliced
2 tablespoons garlic paste
Handful of green chilies slit
Finely chopped coriander leaves
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red chili powder
2 tablespoon mustard oil
Salt

IMG_5128 Heat the mustard oil in thick bottom pan and add the crabs, claws, et. al.

 

 

 

IMG_5129 Toss them for about 5-6 minutes till they get this gorgeous red color on them.

 

 

 

IMG_5139 Keep them aside and add the potato wedges in the remaining oil. Glaze the potatoes till they turn golden. Remove from the oil and add the sliced onions.

 

IMG_5140 Fry the onions till they get a little brown, add the garlic paste, slit green chilies, and the spices. Fry for a couple of minutes more and add the tomatoes.

 

IMG_5144 Within 2-3 minutes of frying all the ingredients, add the potatoes and crabs kept aside. Add salt.

 

 

IMG_5145 Make sure the spices coat the potatoes and crabs. Add half cup of water and cover with a lid.

The potato and crabs cook pretty quickly. You should check within 5-7 minutes and if the potatoes are done, turn the heat off.

Sprinkle the Spicy Crabs with freshly chopped coriander leaves. Serve them with hot Basmati rice.

Get dirty and get hot eating all that crab meat!

IMG_5146

1 comment:

Jhimly Kar Hazra said...

Thank you so much for this recipe 😘