Thursday, February 04, 2010

What’s Stewing?

I am getting more and more fixated with fast and easy recipes. Surprisingly for the husband and my friends who know me, I was probably someone who could not have reached a culinary hiatus. At least P still believes I have mystery remaining in my spice bottles. But I am exhausted from all the time-taking, involved cooking I had been hitherto doing. Hence this Chicken Stew which essentially is a Bengali recipe but without all those complicated spices.

The Calcutta Chicken Stew is a comfort food which you can have in your PJs, snuggled in your couch with some fresh bread.

IMG_5423 I used about six chicken drumsticks, skinless. I roughly chopped a medium size red onion. Diced vegetables like cauliflower, potato, carrot, and broccoli. Snipped off the ends of green beans and cut them in halves.
Heat butter (unsalted) in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat. IMG_5417 Add the onions and sauté them for 5 minutes.  Add the chicken drumsticks (you can even use thigh portions or pieces of lamb). Cook until the chicken browns.

IMG_5425 Add all the vegetables and 4-5 cloves of garlic and 1 inch ginger cut coarsely.

IMG_5426 I do add a stick of cinnamon, two black cardamoms, 2 bay leaves and few whole black peppercorns for that deliciously earthy flavor in the stew. Season with salt and freshly cracked pepper.

IMG_5428 I like to cut my tomatoes right on the pot of the stew. I added two ripe hothouse tomatoes to the vegetables and meat.

IMG_5430 Add enough water to drench all the ingredients and cover the pot. Keep stirring till you see all the vegetables and the meat cooked but not mushy.

Add half cup of sweet baby peas. I did not add them while cooking the stew as I wanted them to retain their green and not get mashed up with the other hardy vegetables.

IMG_5433Finish off with a dollop of butter and some more freshly cracked black pepper. You could also add some freshly chopped cilantro to the stew.

IMG_5432 Ladle the stew out piping hot in serving bowls and serve with pieces of bread.

IMG_5435

IMG_5434

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the best cook I have encountered so far. Congratulations on all your good cooking and continued best of luch with every new and old dish you cook. Lots of love and greetings, Markie

Unknown said...

Pree,
I have tasted your cooking and your food is absolutely fantastic. Your cooking is one of best I have tried. Love your website and the pictures. Looking forward to more great posting and cooking instruction. Thanks for your post.
-Reza

Anonymous said...

Hi Preets...Its so nice to see ur creative talent utilised so effectively...luv ur website...feel so proud of u..great going babe...tried ur chicken curry-the one without tomatoes n it was delicious..my son just luved it..
cheers to a very good friend n a wonderful cook...Anamika

Unknown said...

Hi Pree thank u for sharing ur recipes with us..juss loved this one..looking forward to some more :-)
Best Wishes Trina