Saturday, February 13, 2010

Coastal Cuisine in Cold Canada

Clearly I have been smitten by some hot and spicy food. How else will you explain today’s lunch!

Masala “Pomplate” Grill, Madras Veg Curry and Rice!

I am not so much of a fish person. Quite a contrary to my Bengali lineage. But yes, I can possibly get close to loving pomfret!

For Masala Pomplate Grill (Pomfret) you will need:

2 pomfret fish, cleaned and washed
1 tablespoon ginger paste
1 tablespoon garlic paste
2 teaspoons green chili paste
2 teaspoon fresh coriander leaves ground
2 teaspoon cumin paste
2-3 teaspoon tamarind pulp
2 teaspoon red chili powder
Juice of half lemon
Few curry leaves
Salt
Oil for basting

Score the fish on both sides, add lemon juice and red chili powder and marinade for 10 minutes.

You can ground to a paste all the spices like ginger, garlic, etc. separately or blend them all together. p mosaicAdd this wet marinade, tamarind pulp and salt all over the fish, letting some in to the insides too. Let it marinade for 20 more minutes. Drizzle some vegetable oil and grill for 30 minutes, 15 on each side should let the fish sear nicely. IMG_5623

IMG_5628 IMG_5624

IMG_5625The Madras Veg Curry I made today was almost an impromptu dish to go with the fish and rice. If I were unbiased to my own cooking, I would say this dish had visible leanings towards a hot Thai vegetable curry.

For the Madras Veg Curry, I used some leftover vegetables like carrot, eggplant and beans I had in my fridge. I’d say cauliflower or broccoli would also taste good in a curry like this.
IMG_5610Ingredients for the Madras Veg Curry:

3 cups diced vegetables like carrots, green beans, eggplant
Half cup peas
1 medium size onion chopped
2 tablespoon ginger-garlic-green chili paste
250 ml Coconut Milk, I used a Thai brand
2 teaspoon tamarind pulp
2 teaspoon red chili flakes
1 teaspoon black pepper powder
1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
Few curry leaves
Few sprigs of coriander leaves
Few dry red chilies
Vegetable oil
Salt

I began by heating a pan and adding two tablespoon  vegetable oil. To that add some mustard seeds and let them pop for a minute till they turn dark. Add the dry red chilies and few curry leaves and temper for a minute. Add the chopped onions and fry till they are pinkish brown in color. IMG_5612IMG_5613Add the hardy vegetables like carrot first and follow with green beans, eggplant and lastly the peas. Add the ginger-garlic-chili paste and fry for 3-4 minutes. IMG_5614 IMG_5615IMG_5616The Thai coconut milk that I used was very thick and I loved it instead of the runny coconut milk I usually get from the local supermarket. Add the coconut milk and tamarind pulp. Mix everything well and add the chili flakes and black pepper powder. 
IMG_5617IMG_5619IMG_5620IMG_5621Add salt and let the vegetables boil in the coconut milk and tamarind. I like the vegetables to remain a little crunchy in my Madras Curry. Garnish with sprigs of coriander/ cilantro. Serve with plain rice. On an afterthought, I think a few prawns thrown in the Madras Curry would also not be a bad idea after all.
Coastal Meal MosiacMy courageous trip to coastal India via my tummy was thus complete. I hope you take the culinary journey en route Madras soon!IMG_5630 P.S. My reward from P after this Valentine Day home cooked lunch were these milk and dark chocolates. And of course not to mention the dinner in a few hours @ Copacabana Brazilian Steak House, and hopefully catch a late night show of My Name Is Khan downtown.

No comments: